UWC Online Short Course "Social Entrepreneurship"
Dates: Wednesday June 23 - Friday July 9, 2021
Course Theme and Objectives
The theme of this online short course is social entrepreneurship. The course will focus on action and innovation for social responsibility with special attention for initiatives in the Mediterranean region. The course aims:
- To instil leadership values of cooperation, sustainability and entrepreneurship in young people from all communities in Cyprus as well as the broader region
- To empower young people and develop their resilience and ethical leadership skills
- To discover, develop and share passions and skills and gain a mind-set and tools to undertake action for positive change and community service
- To promote local impact initiatives among the participants
- To promote and instil UWC values
- To introduce participants to experiential learning and online problem-based learning
- To familiarise participants with the socio-political context of Cyprus and discuss shared experiences and common themes among young people in the Mediterranean
The curriculum is aligned with the European Youth Goals and specifically supports the following three main areas:
- Engage: Fostering youth participation in democratic life
- Connect: Bringing young people together across the EU and beyond to foster voluntary engagement, learning mobility, solidarity and intercultural understanding
- Empower: Supporting youth empowerment through quality, innovation and recognition of youth work
Participants will join approx. 4 hours of live sessions each day. After a lunch break, there will be an additional social activity in the late afternoon. There will be no course activity on Sundays.
During the course, participants will be equipped with the toolkit to become young changemakers in their respective communities. In interactive workshops, they will be introduced to concepts as well as practice the skills they need as social entrepreneurs, and meet guest speakers who have established their own social enterprises.
Throughout the course, participants work together in small groups to create their own hypothetical social enterprise. Together with the support of a facilitator/mentor, they will focus on a specific social theme, based on their interests, and present back their eventual proposal at the end of the course. Participants will become familiar and apply the Design Thinking Method and face different challenges during their project.
Participants who complete the course successfully will be awarded a certificate and attend a virtual graduation ceremony open to families and friends.
Who can apply?
The course will bring together secondary school students from different countries in the Mediterranean region.
- Applicants should be aged 14 to 16 at the time of the course.
- Applicants must be a citizen and/or resident from one of the following countries: Albania, Algeria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Cyprus, Egypt, France, Greece, Israel, Italy, Lebanon, Libya, Malta, Montenegro, Morocco, Palestine, Portugal, Spain, Syria, Tunisia or Turkey
- Applicants should apply directly to the course by filling a short application form. The application deadline is May 16.
Are you interested in becoming a facilitator or coordinator? Submit your application here.
The course will be free of charge for selected participants.
This course is funded by the European Union and implemented by UWC.
For more information and questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please also take a look at the concept paper below for a summary of the UWC Online Short Course "Social Entrepreneurship".